Bicycles are a great way to get around Las Vegas. They are eco-friendly, and they are terrific when it comes to adding physical activity to your daily routine.
However, bicycles are small, so they can easily fall into the driver’s blind spots. Consequently, riders can get severely injured.
If you were injured in a bicycle accident due to someone else’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation. A Las Vegas bicycle accident attorney from the Nevada Accident Injury Lawyers firm is willing to assist you with your claim. Contact NAIL online today if you have a case and you’re looking to seek compensation.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Las Vegas
When bike crashes happen in Las Vegas, we often find it’s because of these situations:
- Drivers may disobey the rules of the road by speeding, driving drunk, driving distracted, ignoring traffic signs or lights
- Dooring accidents where bicyclists are knocked off their bikes if they collide with an opening car door
- Poor road conditions due to either the city or a construction company failing to maintain a hazard-free road
- Failure by drivers to put at least three feet of distance between themselves and a bicycle in front of them
- Drivers who fail to provide space in the bike lane
- Blind spot accidents where a driver cannot see a cyclist around them during a lane change
Bike Accident Injuries?
Common bike accident injuries in Las Vegas include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Organ Damage
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Spinal cord injuries
Bicycling Laws in Las Vegas, Nevada
Bike riding laws in the city of Las Vegas include:
- Bicyclists must ride to the right of cars unless they are turning left or are able to match the speed of the motorist.
- Cyclists must obey all rules of the road. They must honor all traffic signs and lights and use hand signals when turning.
- Cyclists may ride up to two abreast.
- Cyclists must ride at least three feet away from parked cars.
- Cyclists must not follow cars too closely or ride in their blind spots.
- Cyclists must check their bike’s condition and ensure their brakes are working before riding.
- Cyclists may not cling to another vehicle while riding.
- When riding at night, cyclists must have a white lamp in front of the bike visible from at least 500 feet away. They must have a red tail reflector visible in the vehicle’s low beams from 300 feet away. They must have reflective material on the sides of the bike visible in low beams from at least 600 feet away or a lamp visible from both sides from 500 feet away.
- Helmet wearing is not required but is advisable.
- Drivers must move into an adjacent lane, preferably to the left, when passing a bicyclist (NRS 484B.270(2)). If they cannot, they must pass with at least 3 feet of clearance between the car and the bike.
- Drivers must yield to cyclists at intersections.
- Drivers must not drive or park in designated bike lanes unless they need to turn or if access is required in an emergency.
- Drivers must exhibit extra caution when driving near inexperienced cyclists, especially children.
Bicycle Accident Case FAQs
What areas are most prone to bike accidents?
Bike accidents are most likely to happen in urban environments, on major highways, and on driveway access roads.
What are the best ways for cyclists to stay safe on the road?
Cyclists can stay safe on the road by wearing visible outfits, especially at night, by avoiding distractions, by wearing helmets and by not riding at night if possible.
What is the statute of limitations on bike accidents?
The statute of limitations on bike accident claims in Nevada is two years. You will have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim.
Request a Consultation Today With a Las Vegas Bicycle Accident Lawyer
With so much at stake after an injury on a bike, you need a reliable Las Vegas bicycle accident lawyer on your side. Nevada Accident Injury Lawyers is prepared to handle your case against negligent parties, including gathering evidence and filing your claim.
If you are looking for a bicycle accident lawyer you can trust, choose the Nevada Accident Injury Lawyers. We’re experienced in negotiating with the insurance companies to pursue a fair settlement. If we need to file a personal injury lawsuit to fully compensate your losses, we’ll guide you through every step.
A bicycle accident can greatly reduce your quality of life. If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, contact NAIL to help you get covered for your damages.